Calix Community  

Contributor

CC API Get configuration file

I was pouring over the API docs for CC, and there is a list of services provided by the API, which have no documentation, or at least that I can find. 

I am under the impresson that these features are not ready, or the documentation is out of date. We are going to be doing a rollback in some ONT firmware from 11.100 to 11.70 on our 844-G's and I would like to retain a copy of the configuration in the case the WiFi informaiton is lost. If this is not possible via the API, is there any way to automate the pulling of ONT configuration files?

Contributor

Re: CC API Get configuration file

@gbrewster,

Rolling back from R11.1.100 to R11.1.70 is huge step back. You are loosing a lot of CC+ functionality be rolling back to .70, along with the bug patches. I'm sure you have good reasons, but I would be interested in hearing the main factors driving this decision.

With that stated, the configurations for each 844G are stored in CC+, and are tied to the subscriber account/device pairing. Assuming you swap out a 844G and use the same registration ID, once it contacts CC+ via the ACS URL, the configuration is automatically restored and starts a new baseline for auto-backups within 30 minutes. I've done this our lab with TAC and in the field.

I would point out that for some of these features to be avaialbe, the 844G itself has to be at a minimum firmware level. For example, to configure DMZ settings from CC+, the 844G has to be running 11.1.90 or better. The release notes, specifically the section "What's New In This Release", covers the functionality of each release.

What you have circled is still done by CC+. Now I'm not sure about the CLI commands. I've logged into each 844G through the local EWI and done a manual backup of the configuration. However, that has been for singular instances, not bulk operations.

~Izzy

Contributor

@Izzy_G,

Thanks for replying! My colleague has been in charge of the TAC case that has been outstanding for a few months due to issues experienced with 11.1.100. We noticed a %50 or more reduction in WiFi performance where standard tests with AC went from 600mbps (11.1.70) to 300mbps (11.1.100). In the field, customers report constant disassociation and event worse speeds, commonly around 5 to about 50mbps on AC. I do not know the current status of the case, but it appears to be a very low priority for TAC. We had to do so many rollbacks manually, the other engineers in my dept decided to do a massive rollback yesterday. Before it happened, I did begin to script manual backup configurations using a bash script that would telnet into CMS, tunnel to the e7 and cut-through to a customer ONT, finally TFTP the config to a backup server. The script was working, but began to fail after the 15th pull. I eventually gave up.

But, getting back to the main subject of this thread, I am writing a fiber management system, that controls a lot of aspects of provisioning (nbI, both CMS and CC) and handling customer records and data. One feature I wanted to implement was backup and restoration of ONT configurations for ONT swaps or the always lagging units that get wiped after a firmware upgrade. I could not find anything within the restful API doc, nor through the CC web interface. Further, I was told by a coworker that the TR-069 protocol does not allow for download of configurations. I was curious if the restful API commands for CC were possibly located somewhere else, or even possible at this point in time.

We actually do not use the registration ID for provisioning new units, we us FSAN’s that are tied into our inventory systems when the ONT arrives on the pallet. With that said, we use the NBI for CC 90% of the time, unless we are making mass changes to groups.

Contributor

@gbrewster,

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. I find it very interestging you've had issuew with WiFi performance on R11.1.100. I'm currently battling an issue with H.248 for over 2 months and will be rolling back to R11.1.100 or .90 based on how things progress, so I can undertand where you are coming from. You scipt to make manaul backups makes sense, but I find it out that it failed after the 15th pull. Do you believe the issue could be a time out to the ONT or OLT/Shelf?

Going back to the main poin of the thread, I don't believe you will find restufl API commands for CC+. As I understand it, CC+ is Calix's implementation of an ACS server and while it uses TR-69, it's API are restricted to the Compass portal. Looking at the screen shot you provided, and my experience with the GigaCenter over the past 8 months, I would state that all there services listed are functions that the API provides to the webportal, but not functions an end user/administrator can utilize. As for using the NBI, we use it for nearly every ONT. Our Registration IDs are created and mapped to the access node, shelf, card, and port number the ONT finds itself living on.

Lastly, your main question was this:

"If this is not possible via the API, is there any way to automate the pulling of ONT configuration files?"

In my experience, and I can be very wrong, the answer is no. Since we use Reg IDs to configure our 844Gs, we can reload configuration files that were backed up on the ACS server because the Reg ID was tied to the subscriber account. I haven't tried using the FSAN, so I can't say if it woruld work or not. Reach out to your Sales Engineer and see if it is a feature that will be developed in the months to come.

~Izzy

Contributor

@Izzy_G,

I had the pleasure of meeting with our sales engineer, and got to express some of the issues we have been facing. To answer your question regarding the failed ONT cuthroughs, the answer is that I don't really know. I will be spending some time in the near future attempting to figure it out, but since we have already performed the rollback, it is no longer a high priority for us. However, since this is a feature I would like to implement in the future and we don't use registration ID's, it may be the best option for us to figure out. If I somehow do figure it out, and can automate such a process, I will make sure to document it in case others wish to perform simlar workflows. 

One thing we learned from our rollback was that new ONT's that shipped with a higher version of firmware than we rolled back to, lost their configuration completely. I chatted with our SE about this, and while we were just talking, if it is the case that configuration files have changed, and you rollback, it might default and would be a reoccuring issue in the future. I don't know if you have expereinced anything along those lines, and I haven't setup a test lab yet to try to isolate it. All I know at this point in time is that if we ever do a rollback of this scale again, we need to REALLY  need to do our homework. 

Contributor

@gbrewster,

Bummer that we had to learn that the hard way. I'm curious, did what firmware version did you 844Gs come with? All of my factory imaged 844Gs start with an M11.0.x. I don't think any of my are running any GA code straight out of the box.

Has TAC given you any support with this case?