Calix Community  

Highlighted
Calix Certified
Accepted Solution

Changing Golden Config File

We are going to be changing some settings to our 844G's Golden Config file on various E7-2 networks. What is the best way to do this to ensure our customers' wireless settings are not changed during the process? Is using Consumer Connect the best way? It seems to work fine when 844 is assigned to a customer and settings are set via Consumer Connect. Unfortunately, not all of our RGs are tied to a customer. Is there a way to utilize the Backup/Restore feature on a per/exchange basis? Any ideas welcome to make this easy.

Thanks!

Re: Changing Golden Config File

So the first question I'll throw out there is, are the changes you're making able to be made through CC+ rather than a golden config. For most applications the only reason to use a golden config is to perform L2 bridged video through the RG, so I want to make sure you're not unintentionally putting yourself through a problem that can be solved another way.

That being said, as it appears you're aware, changing the golden config on a customer will cause them to lose all of their RG settings and set them to the golden config. You can do a backup and restore per device, but there isn't a mass execution for this at this time. I don't see that this is able to performed through API either which would've been a scripting suggestion.

I'll chew on this and see if I can think of another way but a lot of this is going to be manual work on doing backups before and then restores after device to device. Might be worth talking to your SE about a NFR to assist with this type of change as well.
Calix Certified

Yes, we are using L2 Bridged Video through the RG. We are cleaning up our network design to make things uniform, which is requiring us to change our data and video VLANs. 

I was thinking along the same lines as you with the backup and restore, but was hoping I could've been missing something! 

Let me know if you think of any other way, thanks!

For what you're doing I would recommend just changing your tag actions. You'll be doing change tags already so you can just swap from one svc-tag action to another that is now changing to the new VLAN. No reason to change what's in your golden config.
Calix Certified

Good call, that may be the way to go. I had thought about translating it upstream, but hadn't thought about doing it locally on the tag-actions. Thanks!