Calix Community  

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

711GE ONT used for SIP dial tone timing on phone is wrong. How can this be fixed?

Customers that have fiber to the home are reporting that the time on their phones is not correct.  How can this be corrected?  We have 711GE ONTs deployed and they are using SIP for phone services.  

Calix Certified

Re: 711GE ONT used for SIP dial tone timing on phone is wrong. How can this be fixed?

Typically that information is carried the CallerID information from your softswitch.  I would recommend checking the time and timezone information in your softswitch, first.

Re: 711GE ONT used for SIP dial tone timing on phone is wrong. How can this be fixed?

I checked our swtich, everything is good.  We don't have daylight savings time here in Arizona.  I did check the SIP config file that the ONTs pull for their configuration, could not locate anything related to timing.  We are using OLTG-4E cards on our C7.  Could it be coming from the DHCP server??

Calix Certified

Thanks for checking those things.  With GPON your ONTs are getting an IP address from a DHCP server.  Can you perform a packet capture on the SIP communications to see if it's wrong inside there?

Associate

We had the same problem years ago. If I  remember right the caller ID gets it time from CMS 

Calix Certified

Do you mean that CMS is synching time down to the C7s?  I don't think the CMS server is in play with a SIP-based call setup.

Associate

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what we did. If memory serves It gets Caller ID time from the ont.

Hmmm, not sure. I just checked the time on our CMS server and it is right.  

I still waiting for our IT Dept to give us a port on the DHCP server to get a capture.  

For GPON SIP the caller-id timestamp comes from the time/date of the ONT.  The ONT in turn gets its time/date from the C7 or E7 it is connected to.

CMS will provide the time/date to your C7 shelves.  E7 shelves will get this from NTP.

If you are on C7 and your CMS server time is correct you will want to ensure that your C7 shelves are set to the correct timezone.

2017-02-10_1250.png